Panchakarma is an important component of Ayurvedic treatment, which eliminates vitiated doshas from the body. Vamana, a Pradhana karma of Panchakarma, is an important Samshodhana procedure (bio-cleansing method) recommended for cleansing of bahudoshas.
Vamana (Therapeutic Emesis) means to induce vomiting; it is a bio-cleansing measure meant for the elimination of doshas (mainly kapha) accumulated in the upper gastrointestinal tract (Amasaya). Vamana is a treatment of choice in Kaphaja disorders
Generally Vamana treatment is carried out in the early morning on an empty stomach when the Kapha is intense. The night before the therapy, Kapha aggravating foods are provided to the patient. On the day of the treatment, depending on the condition of the patient, heat is applied to the region of the chest as well as the back portion to liquefy the Kapha. After the liquefaction of Kapha in the body, a special medicated drink is given to the patient that stimulates the emesis. Waste products (vitiated dosha) are eliminated through the upper gastrointestinal tract. After the emesis, the therapy is continued with ghee treatment and a steam bath. Proper rest is advised after undergoing Vamana therapy.
Vaman is one of the five therapies of panchakarma in Ayurveda. Vaman means therapeutic vomiting which is a medicated emesis. This treatment is done for the aggravated Kapha dosha, which dislodges the toxins mainly from the respiratory and gastrointestinal tract. This therapy is done for preventive & curative purposes. Ayurveda believes that different seasons have a great influence in the aggravation of doshas, ex: Kapha in Hemant (spring season), Pitta in Sharada (winter) season and Vata in Greeshma (summers) season. Hence one can adopt Vaman therapy in spring i.e. Hemant season as a preventive therapy in order to prevent disorders related to Kapha.
Vamana treatment is targeted to expel increased Kapha Dosha out of the body. When Kapha dosha increases, it causes certain types of diseases – such as cold, cough, etc. If the extent of Kapha increase is less, then some oral medicines can be given to suppress it. But if it has increased to a large extent and if it has moved from its natural place to other places, then it needs to be expelled out of the body. By expelling it out, the disease gets cured, often completely. Since Kapha is situated in the chest region, expelling it from the oral route is very easy. Hence, Vamana treatment is designed. To expel it out, first the Kapha Dosha needs to be forcefully brought from the extremities and different organs into the stomach, and then vomiting is induced.
- Lightness in the chest is often experienced after undergoing Vamana therapy.
- People analyses things more efficiently, promote good voice and good appetite.
- In ancient days Vamana was said to be given to one, after consumption of poison or food poisoning which is today followed by stomach wash in modern science.
- After Vamana, the sinuses are cleared which in turn provides relief from congestion, wheezing, and breathlessness.
- It is a highly efficient treatment in Asthma and skin related problems like psoriasis.
- Reduction in weight and cholesterol & triglycerides.
is done for all kapha type disorders, and good for pitta headache, asthama, dizziness, nausea. It will help to release blocked emotions, respiratory congestion, bronchitis, chronic cold, sinus, congestion kaphagenic asthma.
Virechana Therapy is recommended and is highly beneficial for the following:
– Detoxification in case of accumulation of Pitta dosha
– Eliminates toxin accumulation in the GI tract
– Effective treatment for piles, constipation, acidity, ulcers, liver/ spleen diseases, jaundice, inflammations
– Cleanses body from poisoning
– Cures mild and chronic skin disorders
– Relives headaches, anaemia, pain in the large intestine, non-healing wounds- Helps manage diabetes, asthma and heart diseases
– Reduces gynaecological disorders